Friday, December 7, 2007

Chemistry I

I have a love-hate relationship with chemistry. Its complexity and synchronicity is a beauty, but then I can't help but keep forgetting what I've learn. I realise that my storage capacity duration of certain topics can be as low as 1 day!

What I love about chemistry is the satisfaction it gives when I understands it. Its something which makes sense at a higher level. Which means one has to combines several concepts in order to gain a satisfied conclusion. And when one reaches a right conclusion, it assures that one can think at a higher level, and of course, that'll provide lots of satisfaction and confidence. Chemistry provides self-enlightenment.

What I don't like about chemistry is that sometimes it is just too contradictory and there's just too many exceptions and 'special cases'. Chemistry questions are multi-tasking. It test not only on one concept but many. Let's say one particular question has 10 steps. It is likely that you may need 10 different concepts to tackle that questions. Unfortunately, life of a chemistry practitioner is much harder; other than the 10 'ordinary' concepts, one must also consider exceptions and 'special cases'.

Chemistry is spiritual. It provides many life lessons. All of us can relate and reflect alot of our experiences and phenomena with molecular science. It's a science with many themes. It's something like the book 'Tuesdays with Morrie', whereby every tuesday of the week, the professor will teach one theme in life to his ex-student. So, why not 'Tuesdays with Chemistry'!
Guess what, my 'Principle of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry' and 'Organic Chemistry' lectures are on tuesdays! It's really Tuesdays with Chemistry!

There's so much to type about Chemistry! Well, this is just part I! It shall be continue after my term test!